Friday, August 4, 2017

Blog Moderation

I have put my blog on moderation mode for a while.  I had a post that apparently being posted to several blogs about being selected as one of 75 best blogs.  I have since deleted that post.  Just a minor inconvenience but worth it to keep my blog tatting related.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Misc and Adventures in Dye Land

The first photo are two new additions to my library.  Have to wait until later this year to start.  The Tatting a 4 Square Ring has many options.  No diagrams but lots of information for those who like adventure.

The Tatted Quilt Squares was a surprise book from my daughter. 

The four colors of green was done as an adventure.  The far right is from the Tulip Custom Tie Dye kit called "Mint".  There is a booklet that comes with the kit for many custom colors.  A little light for me but a start for future reference when using this kit.  Of course, to start I had to scale down the amount of dye and water.  Also, I noticed there is quite a bit of filler with the Tulip dyes (might be the soda ash).  When using regular fiber reactive dyes with the same amount of dye/water as the Tulip, the color turned out more of a yellow-green instead of a green-blue.

I have been interested in trying to convert Pantone or CMYK colors into colors I can duplicate with the fiber reactive dyes.  I came across a blog called Leigh's Fiber Journal.  She has had adventures in try to come up with dye recipes with computer coding.  She then decided to dabble into CMYK/fiber reactive dyes.  This has been interesting to me from the start.  Well I got to play a little and this is what I came up with.  The color I was trying to duplicate is Pantone 351 Mint.  I think I am pretty close with the second from left (blue holder).  I plan to keep experimenting with another desired color to see if I can duplicate.  Stay tuned for further experiments.

The last photo is a desired color gone experimental.  I had intended this to be more red than greenish, however, I accidently added yellow instead of fuchsia.  The resulting color is interesting.  It is a green but kind of has a slight yellowish background.  Really like this color.  I have make a couple of 50 yard skeins in size 20 that I will be selling at Tat Days. 

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Crochet to Tatting

Using a document in the file section of the Facebook tatting group, I am in the process of making a tatting pattern from a crochet pattern.  The original pattern calls for worsted weight yarn.  I am using a size 8 Artiste from Hobby Lobby.  It is giving me the stitch counts I need using the conversion document.  Will need to dye the project when finished as I could only find white thread and I need a brown.  I will post a picture after Tat Days in September as I am bring this project for show and tell.

After this project, I will be able to get back to my paperclip project for the online tat class.

There is a Mistery Doily Test Tat Along being held by Alenalea Tatting.  This past week was the start.    Round 1-3 complete.  Onto Round 4.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Dyed Thread

Here is a pic (not very good as it was taken with tablet) of my recent dyed thread.  The variegated did not turn out as nice as I wanted as I did not saturate fully with dye - just enough to give color.  The rust looking one is a mix of a couple colors I had left over.  Next week I hope to do about 10 more colors,  I hope I will be caught up with this project and then can turn my attention to others and then start dying some thread to bring to tat days.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Tat Days Registration and Thread Colors

First, Tat Days registration has opened.  Lots of nice classes.  Look forward to attending again.

Second, I have found out I have 96 different colors of Size 20 thread.  Not enough different colors to finish my project I have been working on.  So I got out my dyes and proceeded to dye 10 more different colors (10 yards each).  Will post a pic when they have been washed.  I may stop after this and wait until I have a final confirmation of people attending the event.  Finally seeing light at end of tunnel.  I have so many other projects to get going on.